Principal Job Opening
Are you a seasoned people leader with experience driving an equitable clean energy transition? Do you enjoy plunging into unfamiliar disciplines and testing new ideas? Are you a collaborative team player who can also be a respected change agent from within? If yes, then join our growing team!
Our staff represents a variety of skill sets, and we welcome candidates with diverse educational and work backgrounds.
RMI India is an organisation recognised for thought leadership in clean energy and climate solutions in India. Ongoing work focuses on the transport, buildings, and electricity sectors and involves technical assistance and policy advising at the national level. We also design and facilitate pilot projects at the state and city levels, alongside leading industry players.
RMI India is seeking leaders at the Principal level to support and co-lead our growing initiatives. In this role, your work portfolio will include grant-funded initiatives and contract projects, ranging in duration from weeks to years; thought leadership through publications and partnerships; and multistakeholder convening and collaboration.
As Principal, you will be responsible for a large portfolio of projects and for managing a team of four to eight people who will work with and for you. You will be one of the primary India representatives in our work with external partners, including national and subnational government entities in India and beyond, as well as donors, clients, and partners. You will also represent RMI India at events and conferences.
Together with the other India Principals, you will have significant responsibility for managing India operations, including conducting performance reviews, acting as a career advisor, and coordinating staffing decisions. You will also collaborate with team leadership to develop and set strategy for the program and initiatives within the program, and to identify and develop project work.
In support of our growing portfolio of work to accelerate India’s clean energy transition, we are specifically looking for Principal candidates who can lead and contribute in one or more of the following areas:
- Developing and delivering strategies and solutions for net-zero energy buildings in India by 2030, with a focus on demand creation for low-carbon building materials, scaling of superefficient appliances through demand aggregation, and enabling on-site renewables and storage
- Developing and delivering strategies and solutions for power sector transformation in India that aims to level the playing field for renewables and storage and accelerate progress towards India’s 2030 target
- Developing and implementing decarbonisation strategies and programs for some of India’s harder-to-abate sectors, including cement, steel, and heavy transport
- Developing and delivering innovative strategies and solutions for sustainable cooling and heat resilience
- Manage research teams and partner with collaborators to develop, pilot, and scale successful solutions to the world’s toughest energy challenges
- Shape and execute RMI India’s project, campaign, and initiative strategies to accelerate the adoption of clean energy solutions together with fellow Principals and team leadership.
- Engage in development, fundraising, and outreach activities to build support for the India Program
- Manage business development initiatives, including sourcing and developing proposals, grant applications and management, and directing the cultivation of fee-for-service collaborations with industry partners and the private sector
- Manage and support four to eight direct reports
- Develop and maintain partnerships and collaborate with other organisations to achieve shared goals, including direct support and consulting engagements
- Structure and deliver compelling presentations and written products to bring new insights to target audiences
- Communicate with stakeholders across government, business, and nonprofit organisations
- Support team members through engagement in their professional development, with specific responsibility to support their growth as electricity decarbonisation experts
- 10+ years of professional experience in a relevant field, such as energy policy, climate policy, energy finance, superefficient buildings, utility regulation, utility strategy, energy storage, business, law, or other fields relevant to the decarbonisation of energy systems
- 5+ years as a team manager or people leader
- Experience successfully leading teams in a project-based work environment
- Experience managing junior team members, including providing coaching and mentorship, and managing performance reviews
- Demonstrated success in forging and cultivating major collaborative relationships or coalitions to achieve shared objectives across the public, private, and nonprofit sectors
- Experience managing complex and diverse groups, including leading and navigating dynamic conversations
- Experience working with national and subnational government entities, utilities, regional grid operators, regulators, distributed energy resource service providers, and/or other NGOs in the electricity, buildings, or industry sectors
- A graduate degree
- Substantial experience (5+ years) working with utilities, environmental not-for-profit organisations or groups, community-based organisations, policymakers, and/or the clean energy industry
- Established expertise in and knowledge of the social, economic, technical, and political issues specific to decarbonising the electricity, buildings, transport, or industry sectors
- Experience facilitating multistakeholder groups working on complex topics
- Preference will be given to candidates with specific knowledge of and experience working in India
- Ability to travel 20–30 percent of the time (once public health conditions allow)
- Evidence of good work references
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience leading projects that involve quantitative analysis
The position will be based in Delhi, India.
Benefits and Compensation:
We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Medical insurance allowance
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Parental leave
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI India is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
As such, it is one of our core values, and we strive for a level of diversity within our organisation that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or other social identities—is critical to the long-term success of each team member and of the organization collectively, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect, and appreciation, enabling them to feel welcomed, supported, and valued
- Effectively connect, communicate, and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders, and constituents within diverse communities
About RMI India:
RMI India is an independent think-and-do tank that works with diverse stakeholders. It takes inspiration from and collaborates with RMI, a 40-year-old nongovernmental organisation. RMI India’s mission is to accelerate India’s transition to a clean, prosperous, and inclusive energy future.
Please ensure you have read the entire announcement below before applying.
Be prepared to share (1) a resume and (2) a cover letter. Both documents are required. Candidates who do not provide compelling answers to the questions “Why do you want to work at RMI India?” and “In what ways are you qualified to contribute to RMI India’s mission?” in their cover letter may not be considered. Additionally, incomplete applications (for example, applications missing a cover letter) may not be considered.
Please email the requested materials to [email protected] and indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Due to the large number of applications received, RMI India is not able to respond to every applicant. We will be in contact with applicants moving to the interview stage.