India, Development, Construction Industry, Business - Rooftop Image of Buildings and neighboring community in Mumbai, Maharashtra
Are you passionate about India’s clean energy transition, particularly in the transportation sector? Do you love solving challenging problems, conducting research and analysis, working in groups, and playing a supportive role in the day-to-day deployment of government policies? If yes, then join us as a Consultant.
RMI India is hiring a Consultant to support our work to transform India’s transportation sector, with a focus on accelerating electric vehicle (EV) adoption in Maharashtra at the city level. Specific project-level responsibilities may evolve over time as needed to support the program’s goals.
Our staff represents a variety of skill sets, and we welcome candidates with diverse educational and work backgrounds.
RMI India is an organization that works with the public and private sectors to enable India’s clean energy future. Our ongoing work focuses on the power, transportation, buildings, and industrial sectors. We engage with the central government, state and city governments, utilities, industry leaders, and civil society organizations to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively bring a shift to clean energy technologies and business models.
As a Consultant, you will be an independent contributor and work closely with colleagues on projects under the direction of more senior staff. Your work will focus on building a knowledge base of sustainable local transportation issues in Maharashtra and providing technical assistance to projects that aim to support EV adoption and ecosystem development in the state. As a creative problem solver, you will use your quantitative, technical, and analytical abilities to conduct compelling research and assessment around EV planning, technology, infrastructure, and procurement. You will also use your communication, facilitation, and administrative skills to respond to requests from our partners and engage them in the design and implementation of solutions.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide core research, quantitative analysis, and support to our projects (e.g., charging infrastructure planning, supporting the electric bus procurement, EV ecosystem planning, etc.).
- Design and create innovative problem-solving approaches and quantitative models to effectively address key questions and challenges posed by our research goals and partners.
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format and synthesise recommendations into clear, compelling presentations and written reports.
- Serve as a liaison between RMI India and our partners, regularly representing us at meetings and occasionally presenting our recommendations.
- Keep up to date on key policy and industry developments related to transportation and EVs at the state and local levels.
- Engage with external experts at events and through telephonic, virtual as well as in-person interviews, and respond to outreach requests, occasionally.
- Postgraduate degree in an applicable field such as engineering, business, economics, and/or public policy and social sciences
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills, including the ability to break down complex issues in a straightforward, logical manner
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for clearly communicating priorities and recommendations to partners
- Comfort working in both collaborative team settings and independently managing multiple projects/priorities simultaneously
- Detail-oriented, organized, proactive, and self-motivated
- Comfort working with uncertainty and exploring new areas of work or unfamiliar subject matter
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives
- 1–2 years of relevant work experience or Postgraduate degree in transportation
- Working knowledge of EV technology, policy, and infrastructure and familiarity with India’s EV stakeholder ecosystem
- Prior experience with government technical assistance projects focused on pilot project implementation
- Demonstrated ability to perform techno-economic analysis in Excel, to determine the cost-benefit of technologies or scenarios
- Prior experience focused on other energy-using sectors of the economy, including power, buildings, and/or industry, is useful but not required
The position will be based in Maharashtra, likely in Pune/Mumbai.
Benefits and Compensation
We offer competitive compensation.
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI India is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
As such, it is one of our core values, and we strive for a level of diversity within our organisation that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or other social identities—is critical to the long-term success of each team member and of the organisation collectively, ensuring that we:
- Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the greatest challenges in the energy and mobility sectors.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect, and appreciation, enabling them to feel welcomed, supported, and valued
- Effectively connect, communicate, and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders, and constituents within diverse communities.
About RMI India
RMI India’s mission is to accelerate India’s transition to a clean, prosperous, and inclusive energy future.
Please ensure you have read the entire announcement below before applying.
Be prepared to share (1) a resume and (2) a cover letter. Both documents are required. Candidates who do not provide compelling answers to the questions “Why do you want to work at RMI India?” and “In what ways are you qualified to contribute to RMI India’s mission?” in their cover letter may not be considered. Additionally, incomplete applications (for example, applications missing a cover letter) may not be considered.
Please email the requested materials to [email protected] and indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Due to the large number of applications received, RMI India is not able to respond to every applicant. We will be in contact with applicants moving to the interview stage.