Associate – Urban Transformation
Do you love solving challenging problems, writing and research, and working in groups? Do you have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, and ability to persuade others towards meaningful results? Are you passionate about the clean energy transition? If yes, then join our growing team!
RMI India is hiring an associate (entry level research and collaboration position) to support our work on transforming India’s cities. Specific project-level responsibilities will evolve over time as needed to support the program’s goals.
Our staff represents a variety of skillsets, and we welcome candidates with diverse educational and work backgrounds.
RMI India is an organisation recognized for thought leadership in clean energy and climate solutions in India. Ongoing work focuses on the transport, buildings, and electricity sectors and involves technical assistance and policy advising at the national level and the design and facilitation of pilot projects at the state and city levels, alongside leading industry players.
RMI India is seeking an associate to support our work on sustainable cooling and heat resilience in Indian cities. Under the framework of the Cool Coalition, RMI India, RMI, and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) are working closely with the Government of India to design a program to support 100 Indian cities in implementing comprehensive sustainable urban cooling efforts. The program will deliver pragmatic, no-regret solutions to support the resilience of those most vulnerable to extreme heat, while building capacity on this topic at the national-, state-, and city-government levels.
As an associate, you are a creative problem solver who uses your quantitative, technical, and analytical abilities to conduct compelling research and assessment around vital energy issues. You will collaborate with team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our research questions and objectives. We expect self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, the ability to drive oneself and others toward meaningful results, a passion for the clean energy transition, and interest in international work.
As an RMI India associate, you will be an independent contributor and work closely with colleagues on projects under the direction of more senior staff.
Your key job responsibilities as an associate primarily include:
- Provide core research, quantitative analysis, and support to our projects.
- Design and create innovative problem-solving approaches to effectively address key questions and challenges posed by our research goals and program objectives.
- Synthesise recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Engage with external partners to drive project outcomes. This includes engaging with experts via phone interviews, attending conferences, responding to outreach requests, and collaborating effectively with partner organisations.
- Facilitate collaborative workshops and partnerships to develop new solutions and strategies.
- Possible travel within India and internationally once public health conditions allow.
- Undergraduate degree in an applicable field such as urban planning, architecture, engineering, economics, policy, or business.
- Two+ years of cumulative work experience in a relevant field.
- Strong problem-solving skills, including the ability to break down complex — and often new or unfamiliar — issues in a straightforward, logical manner.
- Strong self-direction and ability to balance competing requests and priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Personal qualities: intellectual curiosity, flexible mindset, highly collaborative, and a passion for impact and environmental sustainability.
- Experience or knowledge of engaging in Indian cities, including navigating relationships at the city, state, and central levels to drive change in Indian cities.
- Experience working on climate mitigation or resiliency at a city, state, or other local level in India.
- Familiarity or experience with sustainable cooling and heat resilience solutions, especially in an urban context.
- Experience forging external partnerships, managing complex relationships, and facilitating challenging conversations with diverse sets of stakeholders.
- Understanding of India’s planning, architecture, construction, and/or engineering sectors.
- Graduate degree in an applicable field.
The position will be based in New Delhi, India.
Benefits and Compensation:
We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package.
- Medical insurance allowance
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Parental leave
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI India is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
As such, diversity is one of our core values, and we strive for a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this — regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or other social identities — is critical to the long-term success of each team member and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have a varied array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect, and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported, and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate, and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders, and constituents within diverse communities.
About RMI India:
RMI India is an independent think-and-do tank that works with diverse stakeholders. It takes inspiration from and collaborates with Rocky Mountain Institute, a 40-year-old non-governmental organization. RMI India’s mission is to accelerate India’s transition to a clean, prosperous, and inclusive energy future.
Please ensure you have read the entire announcement below before submitting an application.
Be prepared to share (1) a resume and (2) a cover letter. Both documents are required. Candidates who do not provide compelling answers to the questions “Why do you want to work at RMI India?” and “In what ways are you qualified to contribute to RMI India’s mission?” in their cover letter may not be considered. Additionally, incomplete application materials (for example, a missing cover letter) may not be considered.
Please email the requested materials to: [email protected] and indicate the position you are applying for (Associate – Urban Transformation) in the subject line of the email.
Due to the large number of applications received, RMI India is not able to respond to every applicant. We will be in contact with applicants moving to the interview stage.