Associate/Senior Associate Openings
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking in numbers and working in groups? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Do you have a passion for making the world a better place? If yes, then join us as an Associate or Senior Associate!
RMI India is currently hiring one Associate or Senior Associate to support our work in transforming transportation and energy use in India’s cities. We have partnered with National Institute or Urban Affairs (NIUA), the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), and Smart Cities Mission through their new program, Climate Center for Cities (C-Cube). C-Cube was created to help implement the ClimateSmart Cities Assessment Framework 2.0 (CSCAF) and act as a one stop shop for climate informed urban development action.
Our staff represents a wide variety skill sets, and we welcome a diverse range of education and experience.
About RMI India
RMI India is an independent think-and-do tank that works with diverse stakeholders. It takes inspiration from and collaborates with RMI, a 40-year-old non-governmental organisation. RMI India’s mission is to accelerate India’s transition to a clean, prosperous, and inclusive energy future.
Application Deadline: March 11, 2021 or until the role is filled.
Application period: February 15 to March 11 2021
Location: New Delhi
RMI India is an organisation recognised for thought leadership in clean energy and climate solutions in India. Ongoing work focuses on the transport, buildings, and electricity sectors and involves technical assistance and policy advising at the national level and the design and facilitation of pilot projects at the state and city levels, alongside leading industry players.
The development of India’s cities will have a profound effect not only on its own urban population—but on the country writ large and on the rest of the world. Cities already contribute at least 65 percent of India’s GDP, and while they are lively and diverse, they also face considerable challenges; India is home to 22 of world’s 30 most polluted cities; congestion in four major metros alone costs US$22 billion per year; and over 6,100 citizens have died from extreme heat since 2010. These challenges will only become more formidable over the next decade as India adds 200 million to its urban population and builds out its infrastructure, including 700 million square meters of building space and 2.5 billion square meters of roads.
RMI’s urban transformation work in India is currently grounded in providing technical support to the Climate Center for Cities, to assist the 120+ cities who are implementing the CSCAF. Initially, the team will focus on creating tools and resources and providing direct support to accelerate 1) the deployment of rooftop solar for government buildings and 2) shared, electric and connected mobility solutions.
As an Associate or Senior Associate, you are a creative problem solver who uses your problem-solving and analytical abilities to conduct compelling analyses around vital energy and transportation issues. You will collaborate with team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our research questions and clients.
As an Associate, you will be an independent contributor and work closely with colleagues on projects under the direction of more senior staff.
Your key responsibilities as an Associate include:
- Provide quantitative analysis, modeling, and support to our projects.
- Locate and manage high quality data that sheds new light on problems and solutions.
- Create innovative problem-solving approaches to drive project insight.
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Engage with external experts via phone interviews, conferences, and on occasion, respond to outreach requests.
Your key responsibilities as a Senior Associate include all of the above, and:
- Design and create approaches and quantitative models to effectively address key questions and challenges posed by our research goals and clients.
- Structure and guide the work of more junior team members.
- Engage with external experts and stakeholders through conference presentations, topical expertise for media requests, outreach to donors, and direct collaboration on RMI India research.
- Bachelor’s degree with 1-4 years of work experience OR a Master’s (or higher) degree. Education in an applicable field includes engineering (mechanical, civil, electrical or energy), business (marketing, finance, international), computer science, mathematics, architecture, physical and social sciences.
- Strong analytical capabilities and problem-solving skills.
- Understanding of basic financial analysis and metrics (e.g., NPV, cash flows).
- Familiarity with energy, climate, transportation, buildings and/or the electricity industry.
- Prior experience in sustainable urban planning.
- Ability to stick with a problem through resolution but also knowing when to ask for help.
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well.
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines and take risks by exploring and testing new ideas.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Self-starter with the ability to structure work and prioritize tasks under ambiguous requirements
- Prior experience in consulting, project management, or other related fields preferred.
We encourage applicants to reach out if you are interested but may not think you meet all of the criteria for the role.
Benefits and Compensation
We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package.
- Medical insurance allowance
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Parental leave
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI India is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
As such, it is one of our core values, and we strive for a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, caste, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or other social identities—is critical to the long-term success of each team member and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Please ensure you have read the entire announcement below before submitting an application.
Be prepared to share (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter, and (3) a writing or analysis sample. All three documents are required. Candidates who do not provide compelling answers to the questions “Why do you want to work at RMI India?” and “In what ways are you qualified to contribute to RMI India’s mission?” in their cover letter may not be considered. Additionally, incomplete application materials (for example, a missing cover letter or writing/analysis sample) may not be considered.
Please email the requested materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Due to the large number of applications received, RMI India is not able to respond to every applicant. We will be in contact with applicants moving to the interview stage.